knicq
Thursday, January 26, 2006
  Fash's 30th!
In just about twenty four hours, Fash will, by the grace of Allah, turn 30 years old. He will be the first one from my friends to cross over into thirties. Not that it is of any consequence, thirty year olds today are so much younger than thirty year olds from my father’s generation. I should know. 30 year olds today are just about a year older than me today - they used to be something like 25 years older than me back then. Those guys used to be so old!

Fash has been a dear dear friend, the dearest, and he is also the oldest friend I have today. We first got to know each other back in 1985, when we started grade four together in school. I had just come back from Pakistan, after being gone for some two years, and he, I think, had come down from Abu-Dhabi. I don’t remember how we came to be friends, and after this long who really cares; one wonders if it really was out of choice since the gender ratio in our class was 26:4 to the disadvantage of the males; besides my memories from those days are rather painful. Fash has maintained a decent four inch vertical superiority over me all along. I used to think he had a superiority complex, until I found out he was the short guy in his cousins. This vertical advantage of his often resulted in horizontal consequences for me, owing to our daily wrestling matches before the morning assembly.

He has often laughed about the time he picked me up, and brought me down on his knee. I still attribute my back problems to that fateful incident. Another time, we were sabre rattling, only mine was a plastic scale, while he had that wooden scale that used to come with a blade - in my enthusiasm, I caught one of his ‘blows’ in my hand, and refused to let go…he just pulled the scale away - left me with four fingers bleeding. We both left that school after seventh grade, and were to meet again a good seven years later in Pakistan. It has been another nine years since, and Fash has introduced me to scores of wonderful new people in these years, amongst them Felicity, Madi and Jalali Baba.

Moral of the story: Great friends come to those who hold on to their first great friend.
I have learnt that the strongest of bonds are formed in the weakest of moments, under the most fragile circumstances. I have also learnt that one of Allah’s greatest blessings is a friend close by in turbulent times.

A few years ago, I was left bruised and battered at the end of a most trying day; Allah had given me the strength to plough through the day’s events, but I did not see it that way at the time. Despair, regret, anguish, and sadness were pulling me into hopelessness, when I found Fash on line. I was fragile, deeply hurt, and very tired at the time, and I am glad it was Fash I had found on line. He comforted me, reassured me, and kept me from completely disintegrating. I did not realize it then, and it was only months later when I came across that same conversation that it dawned upon me just how vulnerable and unwise I had been in those moments, and just how big a blessing of Allah Fash had been that day.

That chapter in my life tested a couple more of my friends, and Alhamdu Lillah each one of them came through. I could not talk to Fash after that, but Madi was with me for the next couple of weeks, and helped me and guided me as a friend must a friend lost in darkness. I got back online, and found an email from Felicity that had just the rigth words saying just the things I needed to be told at the time. After all that turbulence, peace and releif came to me through a precious few lines, written to me by a precious friend. Sure, I suffered, but I also discovered the wonderful joy that friends are.

This is turning into a song of friendship; I had meant for this post to be an introduction of Fash, one of my closest, dearest friends; but it is begining to read like a boring chapter from my biography. My apologies. It is, however, an undeniable fact that no introduction of a great friend is complete unless one elaborates on just what makes that friend great. To Fash’s disadvantage, what makes him great is that he has stuck around despite the boring me - and this he has done for over two decades now!

So, dear friend, here is wishing you a very very happy birthday, and many many happy returns of the day. May Allah shower His blessings on you everyday and every night, and may He reward you with joy, happiness and contentment for bringing joy to so many lives; may He give you the courage and strength to endure being my friend for all years to come.
Ameen.

-->

2 Responses to 'Fash’s 30th!'
1SaadatOctober 7th, 2005 at 3:57 pm
Happy Birthday to Fash!
And yay for good friends! I, on the other hand, need to learn something from the moral you concluded.
And Ramadan Mubarak!

2knicqOctober 8th, 2005 at 2:49 am
Salamz Chotey Bhai, and Ramadan mubarak to you too, and to your family.
So are you telling me, you need to go befriend somone who has held on to a great friend already?
p.s. for the umpteenth time, I cannot comment on your blog. It just does not show my comments, while it does everyone else’s - I try thrice everytime, and leave sulking.
 




<< Home
A little brooding here, a bit of pondering there, helpings of humour, sprinklings of tears, now celebrating, now lamenting, all done under the watchful eyes of Hope, all endured in the hope of staying human.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Irritating and proud of it.

Archives
2004-06 / 2004-07 / 2004-08 / 2004-09 / 2004-10 / 2004-11 / 2004-12 / 2005-01 / 2005-02 / 2005-03 / 2005-04 / 2005-05 / 2005-06 / 2005-07 / 2005-08 / 2006-01 / 2006-04 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]